This self-paced workshop is designed to give a practical and legal overview of a deal-making process, with a special focus on a Mergers and Acquisition (M&A) transaction. It aims to provide an understanding of key concepts in M&A, the various forms that an M&A transaction can take and the motives behind it with the help of case studies of Indian companies.
We will walk through the stages involved in an M&A deal, from the meeting of parties to the final execution of the transaction, and explore the pros and cons of different structures used in a transaction. We will also examine the regulatory framework to get a flavor of the range of laws that come into play in an acquisition deal.
We will also delve into the due diligence exercise, and learn how to identify potential risks in a transaction and mitigate and allocate such risks to the right parties.
Finally, we will analyze the key documents and template contractual clauses involved in an M&A deal, supplemented with a discussion on legal issues that typically arise between the stakeholders while negotiating and drafting investment agreements.
- Introduction: What is M&A?
- Structuring of an M&A Deal
- Overview of the steps involved in an M&A Deal
- Different methods of raising capital
- Stakeholders involved in an M&A deal
- Key laws and regulating bodies
- Due Diligence
- Identifying and allocating risk
- Key terms in Substantive Documentation
Practical Skills That Learners Can Gain:
- Understanding of key concepts in M&A
- A walk-through of an actual deal-making process
- Learn about the laws and regulatory bodies involved in a deal
- Know about key terms in deal documents
- Understanding a due-diligence
- Get an overall idea of the role of lawyers in the process
- Ace your next job or internship