About Lawctopus Law School
Conceptualized and kick-started in May 2019, and formally launched in March 2020, Lawctopus Law School has taught a wide range of skills to over 6000 law students, young lawyers, professionals, academicians, and business people in the last 18 months.
Over 500 students have rated our courses and the average rating is 91/100 and call our online courses a ‘warm’ learning experience!
Course on Patent – Law and Practice
With the rapidly developing technology, and the increasing number of patents granted every year, protection and enforcement of patents and rights of patent holders is of utmost importance. The legal community a big role in safeguarding these rights of patent holders.
Keeping this in mind, this course has been designed to help the learners, especially lawyers and law students wishing to build their careers in Patents Law.
This course will also benefit professionals who wish to get acquainted with the law or refresh their knowledge on the subject.
Contents of the Course
- An orientation session which explains how to make full use of the course
- Rigorously researched reading resources
- Recorded video lectures covering the length and breadth of copyright law
- A discussion forum to resolve all your doubts
- Assignments (both objective and essay-type)
- Whatsapp and email groups for constant communication
- 3-4, 90-minute long live sessions which build upon the course material
The Lawctopus Law School team is known for excellence in delivery and we keep our students informed via regular emails, Whatsapp groups, and even phone calls (if you are lagging behind the assignments!) and you can be assured of excellent delivery of a quality course.
Structure of the Course
Module 1 – Patents – Understanding Patents, International & Indian Patent Regime
- Important terms frequently used under the Patent Law Regime
- Meaning, scope, and important features of Indian Patent Law
- Comparative differences between Patents and Trademark, Copyright, and Design
- The legislative history of Patent Law in India
- Salient features of the existing patent regime in India
- Comparative analysis of Patent Law regimes of the US, EU, and China with that of the Indian Patent Law regime.
- Tests of patentability, namely, Novelty, Inventive Step, and Industrial Application
- Landmark cases on the Patentability of an invention
Module 2 – Patents – Subject Matter Eligibility
- Subject matters which can be protected under the Indian Patent Law Act
Module 3 – Patents – Procedure for obtaining, Revocation and Opposition
- End to end procedure of obtaining a patent starts with the drafting of various sections of the patent application to the grant of patent
- Patent opposition and revocation
- Pre and post-grant opposition
- Grounds for opposition
- How a patent is revoked?
Module 4 – Patents – Rights and Maintenance, Protection and Enforcement: Infringement and other remedies
- Infringement of Patents
- Remedies under the Indian Patent Law, 1970 available to the patent holder
- Types of Infringement
- How to determine if there has been an infringement or not?
Module 5 – Patents – Assignment, Licensing, and Working
- Assignment of a patent by the patent holder,
- Working of patents i.e. to what extent the patented invention has been worked
- Compulsory licensing
Who is this course for?
- Law students interested in IP laws and especially patent laws
- Professors in colleges associated with the patent/IP subjects
- Business Heads and Scientists interested to gain knowledge and practical know-how of Patent law
- Practising lawyers looking to start or get into the practice of Patent Law
- Legal academicians who want to gain a practical understanding of the Patent Law
Details for our Patents – Law and Practice Course
Duration: 4 weeks
Certificate: An e-certificate will be given by Lawctopus Law School on successful completion of the course.
Mode of learning
- Completely online and self-paced
- Recorded video lectures
- Text-based modules and reading resources
- An online forum for the resolution of doubts
- 3-4 live sessions with Lawctopus’ team and subject experts
- Assignment with feedback
- Get a certificate issued by Lawctopus on successful completion of the course
- Recorded lecture on CV making
- Recorded lecture on making it as a legal freelancer
- Recorded sessions on IPR as a career
- Preferable internship positions for best-performing students with Lawctopus’ partner organizations
- Ad-hoc paid assignments
- Publication opportunities for best-performing students
- Alumni support (we continue informing you about free and paid webinars, internship and job opportunities, and more!)