About the Course
You are a 21st Century Lawyer! We know that you love Information & Communication Technologies.
However, to stay relevant in the field, you must let your love reflect in how you practice law. Use these technologies to improve administration and access to justice.
Back when we set out to build a course that adds substantial value to students of law (both young and old), we were guided by the desire to teach them the core skills of being a ‘Tomorrow’s Lawyer’.
Keeping in mind the future of law, we wanted to gear them up not just with contemporary and future ways of dispute resolution but also train them to deliver it through the medium which will soon replace a major chunk of traditional platforms of dispute resolution like physical courtrooms, tribunals, lok-adalats etc.
Leveraging technology to reduce the pendency of disputes is a priority of the Judiciary as well as the Government. Aggressive promotion of virtual courtrooms and alternative dispute resolution mechanisms by these institutions tells us a lot about what we must do to stay relevant in the profession.
Bar Council of India mandating that Mediation be taught compulsorily in law schools is a big testament to the importance of this subject for all lawyers!
This course, offered by Lawctopus Law School and SAMA, is designed to equip you with the necessary skill-set to start your journey in Online Dispute Resolution.
The course will give you an overview of the Online Dispute Resolution processes with a focus on online mediation and electronic arbitration.
Additionally, this course will teach you how to be effective in communication and facilitation. Given the applied nature of the field, we will also discuss the types of disputes that are most suited for Online Dispute Resolution.
Upon registration, you will have 3-months access to all the course content, from the date of enrolment!
How will the Course help you?
- Give you a strong foundational knowledge of what is Online Dispute Resolution
- You will learn the micro-skills and techniques of Online Dispute Resolution
- Learn about the psychology of online conflicts
- Learn how to become effective online mediators and arbitrators
- Learn how to start careers in ADR as case managers
- Learn how to use the most popular domestic Online Dispute Resolution platforms
The course has been conceived to bring you to speed with the developments in Online Dispute Resolution.
This course will enable you to confidently apply various ODR techniques in practice.
Each module will contain easy to understand written content and supplementary video recordings.
Every module will end with the Stories section which will contain real-life examples from people who have experienced/practiced ODR.
The course contains 8 modules:
Setting the Context (Module 1)
- Dispute resolution today & Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Need for ODR & defining ODR
- Evolution of ODR and ODR in India
Understanding Conflict in an Online Atmosphere (Module 2)
- Legality of ODR in India
- Different Use-Cases Suitable for ODR
- Psychology of Online Conflict
- How Participants behave differently online and the role of diversity in communication
Core Skills of an Online Mediator / Conciliator (Module 3)
- Understanding the Online Mediation / Conciliation workflow
- Online Active Listening
- Reframing, Caucusing, Brainstorming & Managing Power Differentials
Core Skills of an Online Arbitrator (Module 4)
- Understanding the impact of ODR on Arbitration & Conciliation Act, 1996
- Workflow of an online arbitration
- Setting timelines & Communication with parties
Core Skills of an Online Case Manager (Module 5)
- What is Online Case Management?
- Participation between an ODR Professional & a case manager
- Core Skills of an Online Case Manager
Online Communication Skills (Module 6)
- Building Trust Online
- Build a credible profile online
- Use your Case Manager effectively
- Best Practices – Audio/Video Conferencing for Dispute Resolution
ODR in Action (Module 7)
- Resolving Consumer Disputes through ODR
- Resolving Financial Disputes
- Resolving Family Disputes through ODR
- Shifting Courts Online – Role of ODR
The Future (Module 8)
- What does the future hold? ADR as Automatic Dispute Resolution
- Role of Artificial Intelligence in ODR
- Blockchain in ODR
- Use of Smart Contracts in ODR
- Next Steps: How to make a career in ODR
Self-Assessment: Knowledge-checks at the end of every module to test your understanding of the modules
ASSIGNMENT: A practical, subjective test to assess your ODR Skills.
Who is this course for?
- Undergraduate, postgraduate, and advanced students of law
- Young and experienced lawyers (both litigators and those working in law firms)
- Individuals looking to work in the field of access to justice
- Academicians looking to enhance their knowledge of ODR
- Individuals, entrepreneurs, and professionals with interest in Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Anybody with interest in Legal Technology and Innovation
Duration: 4 weeks
Course fee: Rs. 2800 (inclusive of GST)
Mode of learning
- Completely online and self-paced
- Recorded video lectures
- Text-based modules and reading resources
- Online-based, faculty monitored forum for doubt resolution and peer-to-peer learning (available for 3 months after enrolment)
- Compulsory Assignment (submit the assignment anytime within the 3 months of course access, and it will be checked within 2-3 weeks of submission! Upon clearing the assignment, the certificate will be issued!)
- Get a certificate issued by ‘Lawctopus Law School and SAMA’ after the completion of the course
- Free career counseling, CV, and career guidance for the best students in each batch
- Get preferable internship slots with SAMA or partner organizations (for the top-performing students in each batch)