Please note that this workshop was conducted on July 2-3, 2022, and has been converted into a self-paced workshop for your access
About the Self-Paced Workshop
Today, everything we buy is just a click away. Paying bills, shopping, buying groceries, etc. Ever wondered, if what we really desire presents itself on the internet? Well, that’s your data being used on you.
“In the 2010s, personal data belonging to millions of Facebook users was collected without their consent by British consulting firm Cambridge Analytica, predominantly to be used for political advertising.”
Where is our Privacy heading? The UNDHR and ICCPR have stated that Privacy is every individual’s right. Each citizen in the world has the right to have control over their data.
As a legal professional, there is a huge demand for organizations to be data compliant in the wake of the EU-GDPR. This 2-day workshop is designed and curated to help you navigate yourself into a privacy law space as a licensed Privacy Analyst/Lawyer.
Our approach for this self paced workshop is both theoretical and practical; where we will be explaining conventional concepts of Privacy and their application in the real-time world as well.
Aashna Sethi, the faculty for this workshop has completed her LLM in Law and Technology from the University of Ottawa, Canada. Her intersection of work lies between technology and law. She has also taught over 100 learners for LLS’s TMT course.
About Lawctopus Law School
Conceptualized and kick-started in May 2019, and formally launched in March 2020, Lawctopus Law School has taught a wide range of skills to over 9000 law students, young lawyers, professionals, academicians, and business people. Our courses are rated 92.5/100, on an average.
Topics covered in the Workshop
- Data & Privacy Law basics – Theory of Privacy, Origin of Privacy, Privacy v. Security
- Privacy Invasion – Concept, Types of Privacy claims, Katz Test, Reasonable Expectation of Privacy
- India and Data Protection – Privacy as a fundamental right, Data Localization, Data Processing, Personal Data Protection Bill of India, Current process and obligations for business
- Global Laws: GDPR and UK Data Protection Act – Understanding the framework, Risk Assessment, Preparation, What is GDPR compliant?
- Comparative analysis of GDPR & Personal Data Protection Bill of India
- Roadmap ahead – Data Risk Management, Compliance Procedures, Data Protection Strategies, Due diligence, CIPP, Privacy Policies
Key Take-aways from the Workshop
- Have an in-depth understanding of Data and Privacy laws around the globe.
- Know how to be GDPR compliant.
- Build and develop skills in drafting privacy policies.
- Finding a career in the privacy law space in India and globally as well.
- Understanding of CIPP licensing to build expertise internationally and in India.
- Have a nuanced approach and skill-set to become a Privacy Lawyer or Analyst.
Who is it for?
- Law students (both UG and PG level)
- Technology lawyers
- Professionals from the Tech and Media industry
- Research Scholars
- Anyone who wants to learn about data and privacy laws
- Thinking is useful but finally, progress is made when we act. Act now
About the Faculty
Aashna Sethi is a 2018 graduate of the Delhi Metropolitan Education, GGSIPU, Delhi. Since her law school days, she has been interested in navigating the landscape of cyberspace laws. She has completed her Masters in Law and Technology, at the University of Ottawa.
Currently, she is working as Learning Manager at Lawctopus Law School and teaching Technology, Media, and Telecom Laws course. She is also working on her project where her research areas lie between the intersection of law and tech such as Blockchain, Artificial Intelligence, Digital Art/NFTs etc.
A certificate will be issued to all the registrants who attend all the sessions and score more than 50% in the MCQ-based Quiz.